July 13, 2011

D I Y / 1990's Inspired Sleeveless Turtleneck

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'd like to re-post an article that I earlyer shared last November.
For some time now I've been inspired by the thought of underdressing instead of overdressing and images from the 1990s; Kate Moss in a floorlength white tank dress, hair combed back, no make up. T-shirts are my favorite garments, but this morning they bored me. I craved something even more closed and block-like than a tee. Nothing-to-wear moments always lead to a DIY

instructions: Snip Snap, off with the sleeves.

______________________________________________________________
Much Ado About (Nearly) Nothing
By Amy M. Spindler
New York Times, June 13, 1993


Minimalism is as noncommittal as fashion gets without leaving a body naked.
At its best, minimalist fashion is like Mission-style oak furniture: inviting, architectural, sturdy, elegant. At worst, it's plain. It can put demands on the wearer. It won't inspire your friends to apply adjectives to you that you couldn't inspire alone. A minimalist dress is the only $2,000 one that you might wear to meet the Dalai Lama without feeling obscene.

What sets the minimalists on this page above the rest is their deceit and their conceit. Deceit because these clothes look so simple but can in fact be the most difficult: many are cut on the bias (diagonlly, across the grain of the fabric). The bias cut makes them drape. The conceit is the richness of the fabric. There is nothing plain about chiffon backed with silk, or cashmere woven into the rib knit of a sweater.

Minimalism is best described not by what it is, but by what it lacks. There's no lace. No tulle. No fringe. No flouncy tiers. No rows of pleats. For those who subscribe, it is defined the way obscenity ofter is: they know it when they see it.

34 comments:

Eline said...

Dat stukje uit de Times is echt waar het op slaat. Geweldig omschreven!

Femme Virtue said...

love wat u did with the turtleneck!

Petitebine said...

Wat een super gaaf idee!

Down This Road said...

love love it! x

http://www.iletaitunefois.com.au/

amalie said...

you always have the best DIYs! x

Anonymous said...

hi ivania,

I know I am a bit off the topic but can you tell me what blog template do you use?

thanks

Carolina Carvalho said...

Love what you did with the sweater, and the text was really inspiring.
Also, you have the most amazing hair.

Kerrie said...

always wonderful :]

thefashionguitar said...

Not really a fan of turtle necks, but you make it look very good. I am considering again haha!

XO Charlotte
www.thefashionguitar.com

Leah at Aesthetic Mode said...

now I know what to do when I'm bored with nothing to wear... :)
Thanks for sharing!

ANEWSITUATION said...

love your outfit as always! :-)
xx
VISIT MY FASHION BLOG:
ANEWSITUATION.BLOGSPOT.COM

fashion suicides said...

I'm not a fan...

FASHION SUICIDES

Bani said...

I like your bracelet and your shorts... not really a fan of the top though but it is a neat idea.

Sharlxo said...

gorgeous :)

sharlxo.blogspot.com

beneath the glass said...

ok not only is the outfit uber cool, i'm dying over your hair!! i would love to have my hair that silvery platinum- and the pink lipstick just makes everything pop! :)

Beneath the Glass

Katarina Natalie said...

Amazing blog! You're very creative! I've just started two month ago, hope you'll check my blog out :-)

xoxo,
Katarina ♥
http://www.katarinanatalie.blogspot.com/

Yes We Are Open said...

I dig your outfit! Keep them posting!

Marlene said...

I love what you did!:)

By the way I read you're from copenhagen and I'm visiting the city next friday for 2 weeks. Is there any store or must-see you can recommend? I would be very grateful for a tip.
Thanks in advance,

Marlene <3

Elegantly Wasted said...

You've really nailed the DIY turtle neck. After I saw them at American Apparel, I thought that I could do something similar. I was quite mistaken. They definitely only suit certain people & body shapes. You are one of these lucky people!

X

www.elegantlywastedd.blogspot.com

Amber. said...

Your spiel about minimalist dressing was amazing to read.
A true inspiration! Thank you for this blog, It's my absolute favourite.

NRC♥ said...

I like the diy - might try it.
And the bit on minimalism taugh me a thing or two.

NRC♥

| l e n e r d | said...

Gosh! you're stunning
how come we never knew earlier!
ahah I love long layers too + your hair/style
stay in touch
you're like..my new favorite!

already following!
love
xx

| l e n e r d | said...

oh..also added you to my Daily read list"

Len said...

Wow. Your hair is perfect.
Cool blog!! Follow you.

Please check out http://madewithlove-dith.blogspot.com/

Sasha Maria said...

I love what you did with the turtleneck and what you wrote about minimalism. Inspiring.

Kamilla said...

looks lovely (:


thewallsaroundus.blogspot.com

Bronzed Humanity said...

Very cool as always! I linked an award from my site to yours...check it out if you would like :)
xx

Hot Pink Day
Shop Blue Vanilla

minnja said...

Amazing style !!

Please visit my English Fashion Blog:

http://minnja.blogspot.com/


LOVE
minnja

yamina beyondURclothes said...

perfection

♥ yamina
http://beyondurclothes.blogspot.com/

katja said...

very cool idea. i think i am going to wear turtlenecks again this winter after a lot of years without them.

Jayvee Doroteo said...

You just cut the sleeves? Did the sleeves not run since they're knitted? I want to cut some of my knitted garments but I don't know if I will just destroy them that way.

Fabliha said...

I love this and have been wanting to try this out myself after seeing it hear

I love the cut on the sleeves

xx

Gregftbs said...

gorgeous :) sharlxo.blogspot.com

Gemma Talbot said...

Great idea with the turtle neck. It looks great! Xx

http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk