March 15, 2014

N O V E L T Y/ Min Kim

 photo loveaestheticsminkim1.jpg

 photo loveaestheticsminkim3.jpg

 photo loveaestheticsminkim2.jpg



Earlier this week I had the pleasure to digitally meet Min Kim(25) during a little FaceTime chat. After seeing her wonderful work I tracked her down like a Facebook-stalker for a little interview. It was lovely to talk with the super kind and enthusiastic Min about her creative process, her home country Korea vs. living in London, playing dress up and individuality.

Ivania/ Please do tell me more about the story behind the collection

Min/ I like to tell personal stories with my collections. I am very interested in the small things, inspiration always comes from my own experiences; like memories of dressing up with my sister. These small things become bigger, wider and more serious as I research them. There are a lot of references to stories and episodes between women on a very personal level.

My inspiration for the graduation collection came from the 'PFD phase' (Pink Frilled Dress Phase), which most girls go through. I wanted to make an issue about this situation. In my research you'll also find images of girls dressing up in big circular dresses which create unexpected silhouettes.

Ivania/ Your research is really touching, as I have a little kid and get to deal with the 'prescriptions' society has for the genders; pink for girls, blue for boys for example. It can be interpreted as quite a feminist statement you make, would you call yourself a feminist?

Min/ Exactly, there are so many color choices, society should give more space to them so they can make their own choices. I never thought about it that way. I have never deliberately wanted to make a very feminist statement with this collection.

Ivania/ What are your future plans?

Min/First I'd like to gain some experience within a team of designers and to further develop my skills. I'd love to stay in Europe.

Ivania /There are a lot of interesting fashion projects coming from Korea though, wouldn't you want to go back?

Min/Trends in Korea are on a masse scale, most people dress to impress other people. I'd like to design for women who dress for their individual self.

Ivania /We’ve only seen this one collection from you, what would you call your signature elements, or which elements can be expected to come back in your future work?

Min/ The references to episodes, stories and relationships between women. And working with silhouettes that are a bit distorted like for example the circular shapes.
images courtesy of Min Kim< br /> photographs by Heewon Kim

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate these kinds of entrys. You really have a talent at bringing garment to life by asking the designer just the right questions. Thank you for some interesting reading and a great blog. Love from Stockholm.

V. said...

Interesting read! Min is such a talent, and it's nice to hear some of her thoughts for the desigs. You asked all the right questions.

http://stainsofpaint.blogspot.com/

clarice said...

love this amazing coat ...

MarieAntoinette said...

amazing coat! :)

Milex said...

Absolutely stunning

LOVE AESTHETICS said...

Thank you dear Anonymous Swede for letting me know! Your comment just made my day because I really enjoy making these kinds of posts <3

spetsflickan said...

Wow! Stunning clothes!

Becky P said...

Oh my god this is pure perfection! Even though I am a fan of mix and match, clean cuts and minimalism are my fave xx

fashionvitae.blogspot.com

Lydia Bishop said...

Really awesome your using your own platform to bring to light amazing new designers!

herlux fashion
bloglovin

Nathan Moy said...

Glad you got to meet her, at least digitally Ivania! <3 I can see you sporting her pieces, I mean that goes without saying. The coat with the displaced shoulder sleeve intrigues me as a pattern maker, so does the fit on those grey trousers, very unique! #WANT

xx The Provoker
http://www.the-provoker.com/2014/03/patchwork-print-and-platforms.html

Olga said...

Great collection, so clean and architectural! I want those cozy gray pants! :) You did a great interview and I can totally relate to the "pink" brainwashing the modern society imposes on every girl (I have a 7 y.o. daughter and I'm already seriously sick of it). I think in USA it's worse than anywhere! I just really hope my daughter will figure it all out when she's older. I'm trying to lead by example. :)

Marieke S said...

Amazing coat !

Dominique Candido said...

the coat is stunning!

xxxxx
new post up,
www.dominiquecandido.com

Sarah Iracheni said...

Absolutely beautiful pictures, wow! Such gorgeous designs and interesting reading as well. Love the story behind the collection!

Fashionbysi.blogspot.dk

Tabet said...

Wow, beautiful! :)
Kisses
Tabea

http://wolkedrei.blogspot.de/

Tabet said...

Wow, beautiful! :)
Kisses
Tabea

http://wolkedrei.blogspot.de/

Amely Rose said...

The collecion is amazing, straight but so complex.
My favorite item is the coat (first Picture) it's so unique and lovely and eyecatchy, yet it's calssy and elegant and in the same time Young fresh and has something 'rock'n'roll' like on a high-fashion-Level.

thanks for showing us this collection and great designer <3

ChamaFashion said...

Really beautiful collection!
XO CHAMAFASHION
http://www.chamafashion.com/

Portal to Fashion said...

Love the simplistic and futuristoc collection!!

Www portaltofashion.blogspot.ae

Loonia Ali said...

Ohhhh wos this work it's spectacular!!! Awesome design abd form! love it!
WWW.BONNIE-BANDIE.COM

dahi. said...

very spectacular avantgardistic fashion pieces - i especially adore the grey coat

Giuliano Bolivar said...

OMFGGGGGGG

e said...

so unique and cool, love when you do these types of posts, really cool designer, like her philosophy too! also checked her site and really cool photos/drawings.

Moneymakingsite said...


OPP GUM TAPE SUPPLIER IN BANGLADESH
OPP GUM TAPE SUPPLIER IN BANGLADESH

Making Money said...



OPP GUM TAPE SUPPLIER IN BANGLADESH
OPP GUM TAPE SUPPLIER IN BANGLADESH

ShowroomRomeo said...

Great collection! Find more emerging designers: www.facebook.com/ShowroomRomeoParis

Arush sharma said...

very good work admin..........awesome.....i like your work great.

Anonymous said...

nice thinking

Blackol Cker said...

theu vi tinh
so mi nam
quan jean nam
ao thun nam
quan ao nam gia si
jean ong dia

tozca sudirman said...

Really great browse, optimistic web site, where by u develop the actual details in todays post? I 've browse the majority of the articles or blog posts with your web site presently, and I very such as your vogue. Thanks a million and please constantly function effectively

davia leather
new game kids
toko jaket kulit murah di garut
jaket kulit asli domba
jaket kulit jakarta
jaket kulit
abwaba
permainan terbaru
layali store
permainan games memasak
permainan memasak sara
permainan games barbie

muhammad yasir bawani said...

Find home based jobs of link building, facebook marketing, add marketing, add clicking and much more jobs.
www.jobzcorner.com

lescailles said...

whouah whouah

Trần Văn Quảng said...

Really awesome your using your own platform to bring to light amazing new designers!

hoc marketing
khóa học internet marketing
ban hang truc tuyen
Internet Marketing
Kinh doanh truc tuyen
Tao web mien phi

vabna islam said...

This is such an interesting blog. You are very knowledgeable about this subject. Please check out my site.
love